Studying medicine and surgery in Nigeria may tough or easy, it all depends on you. This is what I am going to talk about in this post, please make sure you share it with others.
- 1 What is medicine and surgery?
- 2 MBBS in Nigeria
- 3 Qualities you should posses to enter the medicine and surgery field
- 4 Courses related to medicine and surgery
- 5 Subject combination for medicine and surgery
- 6 University duration for medicine and surgery in Nigeria
- 7 Job opportunities for someone that studied MBBS in Nigeria
- 8 Accredited universities that offer medicine and surgery in Nigeria
What is medicine and surgery?
Medicine and surgery is the combination of both surgery and medicine.
Medicine is the science and art of maintaining and/or restoring health through the study, diagnosis and treatment of patients.
Surgery is a branch of medicine that uses operative, manual and instrumental techniques on a patient to investigate and/or treat a pathological condition such as disease or injury. This is done to help improve the body function or appearance, or sometimes for some other reasons.
MBBS in Nigeria
Don’t let it confuse you, MBBS is also the same thing as medicine and surgery.
MBBS literally means a degree in medicine and surgery.
MBBS is available in Nigeria as a course.
Read also Best private university
Qualities you should posses to enter the medicine and surgery field
- You should be compassionate and responsible.
- You should be curious, practical and innovative.
- You should be a good team player and people oriented.
- You should have an interest for biological science subjects like biology, chemistry, etcetera.
- You should have a strong will power and be ready to make concrete decisions.
- You should have a strong desire to study and learn new things.
- You should not be lazy and take the course seriously because MBBS is not a piece of bread. Academic requirements for medicine and surgery in Nigeria You need to have at least credits in your ssce results in physics, mathematics, chemistry biology and English. You need to pass the cut off mark in utme and post utme. Most universities in Nigeria only accept one sitting ssce result for admission to study medicine and surgery. For direct entry, you need to have A level passes in physics, chemistry and biology or zoology, in addition to utme requirements. BSc or BOS in relevant fields are also accepted.
These courses are in one way or the other related to medicine and surgery (MBBS), they are :
- Human Anatomy.
- Medical Biochemistry.
- Biomedical Technology.
- Dentistry and Dental Technology.
- Human Nutrition and Dietics.
- Medical Rehabilitation.
- Prosthesis and Orthopedic Technology.
- Nursing / Nursing Science.
- Public Health Technology.
- Public and Community Health.
- Public Health.
- Pharmacology and Therapeutics.
- Medical Radiography and Radiological Science.
- Veterinary Medicine.
- Medical Laboratory Science.
Subject combination for medicine and surgery
The subject combination in ssce result for medicine and surgery are :
- Biology. The subject combination in jamb/utme for medicine and surgery are :
- Use of English.
The subject combination for direct entry candidates are :
- Use Of English
- Biology or Zoology.
University duration for medicine and surgery in Nigeria
The current university duration is six (6) years plus one (1) year of house job. Summing it to seven (7) years.
Challenges in medicine and surgery in Nigeria
- It is time consuming.
- Risk to life in case of the inability to save a patient’s life.
- Risk of exposure to certain infectious disease.
Job opportunities for someone that studied MBBS in Nigeria
A person who studied medicine and surgery and is certified is called a medical doctor.
A person who studied medicine and surgery in the university can work in hospitals, health centres, fertility clinics, school clinics, etcetera.
Post graduate degrees in medicine and surgery in Nigeria
There are some post graduate degrees after the normal bachelor’s degree in medicine and surgery in Nigeria, they are :
- Post Graduate Diploma (PGD) : A post graduate diploma is a qualification awarded typically after a Bachelor’s degree.
- Master’s Degree (MSc.) : A Master’s degree is an academic degree granted to individuals who have undergone study; demonstrating a mastery or high order overview of an area of professional practice.
- Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D) : This is an advanced academic degree awarded by universities. It is the highest degree one can earn. The major requirement is the possession of a Master’s Degree.
Professional Associations For Medicine and Surgery in Nigeria
- Nigeria Medical Association : NMA is a professional and accredited association for all professionals in medical science field and their website is http://www.nationalnma.org
- Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria : MDCN is also another professional association for people in the medicine and dental field and their website is http://www.mdcnigeria.org
- Association of General and Private Medical Practitioners of Nigeria : An accredited association for certified medical practitioners in Nigeria, their website is http://www.agpmpn.org
Accredited universities that offer medicine and surgery in Nigeria
Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
Obafemi Awolowo University, oyo state.
University of Abuja.
University of Benin.
University of Calabar.
University of Ibadan, Oyo.
University of Ilorin.
University of Jos.
University of Lagos.
University of Maiduguri.
University Of Nigeria, Nsukka.
Babcock University, ogun state.
Niger Delta University.
University of Osun.
Ekiti State University.
Lagos State University.
Olabisi Onabanjo University, ogun state.
Ladoke Akintola University of Technology.
Madonna University, Anambra state.
Delta state university.
Bingham University, nasarawa state.
Ambrose Alli University, edo state.
Bowen University, osun state.
Nigeria Turkish Nile University, Abuja.
Igbinedion University, Edo state.
Gregory University, Abia state
Thanks for reading this post, if it helped you in one way or the other or you like, please share it with your friends using the sharing buttons below the post, Subscribe to our newsletter to get more of this post in your email.